Environmental Health

Shiawassee County Health Department

Surbeck Building
201 N Shiawassee St.
Corunna, Michigan 48817


Restaurant Complaints and Illnesses

General Information

The Shiawassee County Health Department responds to food service facility complaints involving unsanitary conditions or suspected foodborne illness.  Common restaurant complaints may include an employee touching food without gloves, tobacco smoking, unclean facilities, or any other issue related to food safety.  Please be aware that we do not respond to general customer service complaints such as rude wait staff or slow service.  If your complaint involves a retail establishment (convenience store, grocery store) please contact the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development at 1-800-292-3939 or visit www.michigan.gov/mdard.

Please be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Your name, address, phone number, or email (information will remain confidential)
  • Name and location of restaurant
  • Date of the incident
  • Nature of the complaint

Restaurant Complaints

There are several options for filing a general food safety complaint:

  1. Submit a complaint via E-Mail
  2. Call our message line at (989) 743-2390
  3. Download/print Complaint Form and return to our office. Click here for mailing address or fax number.

Foodborne Illness Complaints

***This section currently under construction***