Childrens Special Health Care Services (CSHCS)
Children’s Special Health Care Services (CSHCS) is a family centered, community-based, coordinated program that helps pay for specialized medical treatment, equipment and supplies for individuals with long term, chronic medical conditions and disabilities. It does not cover mental conditions.
Children must have a qualifying medical diagnosis. Persons 21 and over with cystic fibrosis or certain blood disorders may also qualify for services. CSHCS covers over 2000 medical diagnoses and helps pay for specialty care/costs.
CSHCS is a program within the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (MDHHS) in Lansing. The main office in Lansing receive medical reports from specialists, determine if the individual is medically eligible, send out application packets, and enroll the person in the CSHCS program.
The local office is here at the Shiawassee County Health Department (SCHD).
SCHD staff provides help with:
- Referrals for diagnostic evaluations, specialty care and referrals to community agencies
- Obtaining medical reports from specialists
- The enrollment /renewal process
- Coordination of services with MDHHS, specialty doctors, hospitals, equipment suppliers, pharmacies, insurances, etc.
- Mileage, lodging, and transportation reimbursement for out of county specialty care.
- Billing issues and prior authorizations for out-of-state care, respite, and private duty nursing care.
It is our goal to advocate for the children/families with special needs in Shiawassee County and to the remove the barriers that prevent them from receiving the specialty care they need.
You can also visit the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, CSHCS (Website).
Family Center For Children & Youth With Special Health Care Needs (Website).
The CSHCS Family Phone Line: 1-800-359-3722
Calls are answered Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
For more information call: 989-743-2355 or our toll-free number at 800-859-4229 and ask for Children’s Special Care Services Program.
Find us on Facebook
Parent Connect (3-17-2021)
Family Center For Children & Youth With Special Health Care Needs Camp (2021)